Monday, July 19, 2010

Baptized - Round Two

So yours truly over here is probably, most likely, maybe going to get baptized a week from now.  In a lake.  With a jillion people all around.  In a lake.  Here are my thoughts and concerns listed in no particular order about this whole thing. 
  1.  Did I mention the Lake Part?
  2. What do you wear to be baptized in a Lake?  All I know is, not those athletic pants that will balloon up with tons of water...thank you, Katie Nary.
  3. I don't feel like the "Baptized in a Lake" kind of girl.
  4. I don't feel like the "Baptized in church and make a video" kind of girl either.
  5. Ack.
  6. Seriously, what do I wear?
Steve and I want to join CVC, not right this very instant but its on our agenda.  In order to join, I need to be baptized.  I grew up in the Methodist church and was baptized as an infant, but need to go through the process as an adult in order to join our current church.  And I'm okay with that.  I attended a small Baptism Class today (And instantly filled out all the answers to the hand-out we received.  It was like in class when you get a fill in the blank worksheet and you get the answers as you go along, thank you Grove City for allowing me the knowledge to fill in the whole thing in about three seconds.)  Anyway, I was pretty nervous about attending the class because I already consider myself baptized.  My parents set me apart as an infant, declaring to raise me in a Christian home and raise me up in the ways of the Lord.  My fathers house was a godly one,  and my parents certainly fulfilled their promises.  

I talked to John (the elder leading the class) afterward just about my thoughts and reservations.  I, obviously, didn't want to disrespect the church and go into the whole baptism thing just because they're going to make me do it before I join anyway (which was, admittedly my initial thought several weeks ago).  I'm viewing this for what it is, an outward sign of my inward faith.  I want to publicly declare my renewed faith.  I've already been baptized, but I've also spent a pretty significant amount of time away from my faith.  A couple of years wandering the in wilderness.  But I've been listening more and more to the call of Christ in my life, and he has certainly been pursuing and calling me home since I first turned away from him.  I want this renewed life of mine to bear more and more evidences of my faith, and to me, getting baptized is just one step in a very long process of trying to Obey God's Commands.

Long story short, this weekend I guess I'm going to be a Baptized in a Lake kind of girl.  Whoa

No comments:

Post a Comment