Saturday, October 15, 2011

Today is National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day.  A day that I'm fairly certain no one thinks they might one day observe.  I certainly didn't.  Until last year, I didn't know such a day existed.  I've typed the phrase "Today we remember..." several times, but it doesn't quite fit.  I remember our first sweet babe on more occasions than this.  Sure, there are dates that stand out, ones that we've passed in the last year.  May 8th, when our little one should have been coming into the world.  The weekend of September 11th, when our babe left us.  And today, when those who have experienced losses collectively remember all that those losses mean.  This time last year a sweet lady invited me to vigil for women honoring their babes, at the time I was too defeated to even consider going.  I was broken and felt destroyed.  And while part of my heart will always break for what I lost, I am not destroyed and I am not defeated.  My first little love has made an indelible impression upon my heart, and I am determined to use that for a greater good.  In that vain, if you know anyone who has experience a loss This Organization helped me beyond measure.  Peace Bears.  A lovely friend sent one to me, and simply knowing that she cared, was trying to understand, and that there were people who had been there and were willing to acknowledge all that my loss meant - well, that meant the world to me.  Our bear sits in our living room, holding onto the word "Hope."  That's what our loss has turned into, what our loss signifies to me, hope for things yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment